Search This Blog

Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Blind Side

Have you ever been blindsided? I was yesterday when I lost my job. I didn't see that one coming. It was a good job too. My coworkers were great, I wasn't confined to my desk, I met a lot of unique people, I had a company car, laptop and cell phone. But even just last week I confided in my wife that there have only been two places that I have worked at in the last 20 years where I felt confident that I was using my gifts and truly making a difference. Those places were Wagner Hills Farm Society, a recovery center for men with addictions and MCC SCS now Communitas Supportive Care, a NPO dedicated to supporting people with disabilities. Everything else has ultimately given me no fulfillment or purpose. I have learned a lot though. Especially in this last job. I have been mentored by a great visionary and entrepreneur and my imediate superior taught me the importance of good communication and attention to detail. I have picked up some very valuable tools to use in any future endevor. I have also learned that I have been trying for too long to put a square in a round hole (as my good friend James put it). I know where my gifts lay and that God wants me to use them for him. Thanks y'all for the supportive encouragement that I have been receiving. I am unusually at peace knowing that God has something just right in store for me and that my family will be supported.

4 comments:

beans said...

So sorry to hear this. I hope you are able to find a job that uses the gifts God has given you.
Trina

Financial Student said...

I've had that happen a few times in my life. My job is very unstable now too. All the best of luck searching for a new job. I'm sure you'll find something soon.

FieryCanuck77 said...

I'm sorry this has come out of the blue. It is easy to start the blame or to start questioning yourself and your own abilities, so I am encouraged to read that you are at peace with this. God will use you as he has before! I'll be praying for you & your family that something will come up soon.

Heidi said...

Holy smokes Aaron. I'm having one of those - there's just nothing to say moments. Tough. That's tough.