Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Olympic Spirit

I took the whole family including the dog to go and watch the 2010 Winter Olympic Torch go by today. We and many others stood at the roadside to watch someone run past us with it. I have to say that I caught a bit of the spirit. It was a cool event to be a part of. But maybe I am naive because I was surprised at just how big of a roll advertising plays a part in the event. It really is the Coca cola torch. I got a free bottle of Cocacola  and a free Coca cola flag that also had the Canada maple leaf on it. I wonder if the maple leaf would have been printed on the flag if Canada's colours were not red and white.
The Olympic Games are kind of like the language that all nations understand. You know like music or the blue sky. We all have it in common. You know what else brings the world together? Coca cola.

2 comments:

FieryCanuck77 said...

I'm taking the kids to see the torch go through Surrey tonight. Hopefully they'll find it fun! I'm starting to get excited! However, my husband would disagree with you on the Coca Cola bit. He's a Pepsi man! :)

Financial Student said...

I'm seeing it today and hopefully being caught up in the spirit!

I guess it's kind of like TV. You have to put up with the advertising if you want to watch your shows. Money is required to make these shows play and the olympics is no exception.

Go Coke! Oops... I mean Canada!