Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Traditions

I took the Christmas lights down today. It wasn't too bad really, I just have one row along the front gutter and some around the doors. I had to unplug one set and I didn't want to climb up and pull it out so I did what my parents taught me not to do and I pulled on the chord. It didn't come out so I yanked it and guess what. I ripped the plug off of the chord. Always learning things the hard way.
Do you ever wonder why we practice certain Christmas traditions like hanging Christmas lights? Every year in December I pull out the slimy slippery old wooden ladder that I store behind the shed and climb it in the rain. It always rains in December in Chilliwack and it rains even harder on the day that I install Christmas lights. I have four kids and a wife to support, but they sure like the look of those lights once they are up:)

The other weird one is the Christmas tree. You relocate your favorite chair to a place where it is virtually unusable just to bring a dead tree into your living and put stuff on it. Flammable stuff and lights. Some people even put candles on their trees AND LIGHT THEM! This is done in the coldest month of the year when you really need the warm dry house that you are adding fire hazards to. Then you have to water the dead tree so that it will last longer. "Honey don't forget to water the dead tree so that it can invade your space for as long as possible".
I like the traditions, but sometimes they just go against common sense.

2 comments:

Financial Student said...

Too funny!

FieryCanuck77 said...

oh, but see, that's where you're wrong. The tree isn't dead....yet. It's just DYING. Hopefully that clarifies it for you and you can feel more comfortable with the idea of adorning it in your house. think of it as "last rites" or something.

Oh, and you're a good man for putting up lights. My husband did it the first year...and hasn't since. His excuse is that the electrical outlet for outside doesn't work. But he hasn't fixed it. *sigh* Alternatively, next year, you could just coincidentally shut the breaker off to those outlets. Just sayin'...it works for my Hunny!!!! *harumph*