Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Vacation Time

I love vacations. I live for them. My wife and I have made vacationing a high priority and we put a high value on it. We are on vacation right now and we took the kids out of school to do it. I even took unpaid time off to do it. We go even when it would seem like it doesn't make sense because guess what. It never will make sense to pick up and go, take the kids out of school, disrupt the routine and spend extra money when there are so many other responsibilities. But we make it make sense by giving it importance. Set your priorities on what you find important, not what makes sense and stick to them. In the end you'll be more fulfilled knowing that you did what you wanted to do in life. That's what I think.

4 comments:

Graham Nickel said...

I couldn't agree more. If you only do what makes sense, that is, what is most efficient and most financially responsible, at the end of your life you will have left your children the message that...what?...always go for the best value and never splurge on anything, and always save money no matter what. If that is what is important, then that priority will be your trademark. Legacy? Anyways, I put a huge importance on family trips, parents going on dates and adventures, vacations... these pleasures give me the light at the end of a dreary January tunnel and I love it that my kids have new experiences outside of Abbotsford and have become good travellers. Hope you have a good roadtrip heading back (another thing I want to do with my kids one of these days!)

S

Financial Student said...

I think it always makes sense to make goals and then make them a reality. I'm happy you're making it happen!

Financial Student said...

Just wanted to add to that. Seeing as I write about saving money and managing money all the time in my blog. The reason I save money is to meat my goals. Goals to retire, to be debt free, own a detached home, and goals to travel more.

If you don't understand your goals then saving money doesn't make any more sense than spending it. So accomplishing your highest value "makes sense" to me.

Aaron said...

I need to add a qualifier to this post. I am extremely greatful to my wife's parents who helped us to take this nice vacation.