Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hands Free Bluetooth®, Schizophrenia and the VPD

I don't like Bluetooth®. I am sure that I can feel the radiation goung through my bones when I activate a Bluetooth® device. I especially do not like the Bluetooth® hands free headsets. They make everyone who uses them look like they are talking to themselves. Actually If I were to aquire Schizophrenia or any other disorder that would cause audible hallucinations I think that I would wear one and maybe people would think that I was just having a business conversation when they saw me sitting in Dairy Queen chatting to myself about nothing.
 I have infact been using a wired hands free headset while driving because much of my work is done over the phone while I drive from place to place. The other day I was near West 33 and Oak Street in Vancouver at an intersection. I had my headset on and I was paying attention to the road. The  old guy approaching the crosswalk on his motorized scooter however, was talking on his cell phone and he was definately not using a hands free device or paying attention to the red light ahead of him. As he continued on infront of my car he quickly realized the danger that he had blindly rolled into and spun his machine around to get back on to the sidewalk. I wonder if BC's new law against the use of handheld devices while driving would apply in this circumstance. If so what if the fellow on the motorized scooter had Schizophrenia or another disorder that would cause audible hallucinations and he was using the cell phone as a prop so as not to draw attention to his illness. Then if he would have received a $168.00 fine for being mentally ill. What a public uproar that would cause against the VPD! Like they need anymore bad press about mishapps involving people with mental illness.

No comments: