Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Garbage Day - Part 1

Those closest to me know that I like to make a big deal out of garbage day. Garbage day is Wednesday on our street. Every Tuesday night I say to the kids "Guess what day it is tomorrow!" and every time they get excited thinking that it is some special day like a birthday or swimming day but they always groan when I let out  whoop and proclaim "It's GARBAGE DAY!" I know I am a geek. But the thing is garbage day represents something huge that we take forgranted as Canadians.

Garbage Day represents life as we know it. It represents order and infrastructure. It represents civility and a sense of the common good. It represents unity and pride for our land. It represents stability and safety. I truly beleive that if we did not have regular garbage pick up our nation would fail.
I'll have more to say about this at a later date.

2 comments:

FieryCanuck77 said...

You know, as per usual, I hadn't thought of it quite that way. So thanks for enlightening me. However, I was considering Garbage Day myself this week as I searched for my can that had blown about the neighbourhood in the nighttime windstorm. It occurred to me that...how strange...there wasn't always a 'garbage day' and that at one time no garbage pick up or dumps at all! How bizarre is that? It got me thinking about how, at one time, garbage wasn't such a part of our lives. Interesting. I'm curious as to your Part Two to these thoughts! :)

sket said...

and they take your garbage away too!